About the content
How can storytelling promote social change?
This course develops skills for using stories to deliver messages that affect audiences and shape attitudes for social change. Learn how building empathy and developing characters can offer multiple perspectives on complex problems. Social change happens when listeners or viewers identify with messages delivered through a protagonist they identify with. Theatre artists and professional storytellers offer expertise about how to craft a story that develops empathy and delivers impact.
You will watch video interviews with storytelling experts, view performances, and write your own story for social change. See how stories told from diverse perspectives contribute to understanding new perspectives about pertinent world issues. Learn how effective storytelling can be your tool for change.
This course is for anyone who wants to effectively tell an impactful story. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Professionals working in not-for-profit or commercial sectors
- Entertainment industry development teams
- Writers and arts enthusiasts
- Community workers and social activists
- Marketing and development teams
- Educators and public speakers
- Customer service representatives
- How professionals use stories to elicit social change.
- How to introduce multiple perspectives into stories for social impact.
- How to identify an audience, communicate a message, and develop a strong protagonist to deliver your message.
- How empathy and belief systems affect storytellers and audience members.
- How to use visual elements to enhance a storytelling project.
Chair of Dance and Professor of Theater & Drama
The University of Michigan
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.