About the content
Globally, 1 in 11 jobs are in the hospitality industry, with predictions for continued job growth. Hospitality careers are often stereotyped as low-wage and entry-level with little opportunity for advancement, but with constant innovation, opportunities for talented individuals are vast, and growing.
Are you wondering if a career in hotel management, restaurant management, hotel asset management, or services marketing would benefit you? Are you currently working in the industry and seeking promotional opportunities? Enroll now and let Cornell guide your exploration of this exciting industry.
Who is the intended audience for this course?
The audience for this MOOC is anyone in the industry seeking to advance, as well as individuals who are interested but who don’t know much about the industry. It’s also appropriate for use as an employee-development tool within hospitality industry companies
Are there formal prerequisites?
No. Some proficiency with Excel will be helpful.
Is there a textbook for this course?
No. A list of supplemental resources, will be provided.
What are the topics covered in this course?
- An Introduction to the Hospitality Industry
- Strategic Hospitality Management and Innovation
- Owners, Operators, and Investors: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Investing in the World of Hospitality
- Marketing the Hospitality Experience
- Human Resources Management in Hospitality
- Explore the many wide-ranging career opportunities in hospitality and hotel management
- Gain career advice and stories from international industry experts
- Use an analysis tool to evaluate competitors and make strategic decisions
- Analyze factors leading to an own-vs.-lease decision
- Explore distribution channels and pricing strategies
- Learn how to select smart, talented employees
- Bill Carroll
- Jan A. deRoos
- Cathy A. Enz
- J. Bruce Tracey
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.