This course provides an engaging and methodical insight into the past and present cultural and commercial music industry developments, directions, and trends. It will equip the students with the knowledge and skills necessary to appreciate, understand and more productively participate in today’s music industry field.
The course is divided into five academic units, each consisting of three learning segments – the roots, the regulations, and today’s industry methods and practices - scheduled as follows:
- Introduction - "An Elephant, A Miracle, And The Messengers Of Doom"
- Roots: Music Publishing & Copyright - “And Music Learned To Play Business”
- Regulations, Part 1: Music Copyright Fundamentals; © and ℗ - “The Birds And The Bees Of The Cs And The Ps”
- Regulations, Part 2: Musical Works Licensing - “Penny For Your Thoughts (If I Can Sing Them)”
- Methods and Practices: Music Publishing - “Can’t Eat A Song, Now Can You?”
- Roots: Live Music Industry - “Of Bread And Games”
- Regulations: Live Music Licensing, Insurance, and Permits - “Dotting The Is And Crossing the Ts”
- Methods and Practices: Concert Promotion - “If You Build It They Will Come…Or Not"
- Roots: Recording Industry - “Sounds For Sale”
- Regulations: Sound Recording Licensing - “Paying The Piper”
- Methods and Practices 1: Recording Industry - “Madness, Meet Method”
- Methods and Practices 2: Standard Recording Agreements - “Bargains And Bridges (For Sale)”
- Roots: Magnetic Recording and Multitracks - “Multiple Magnetic Personality”
- Regulations: Digital Recording, Reproduction, and Transmission - “Putting A Leash On A Music Byte”
- Methods and Practices: Recording Production Planning - “A Puzzle Unpuzzled”
- Roots: CD, MP3, and Online Marketplace - “So One Thing Led To Another…”
- Regulations: Fair Use Doctrine, Sampling, and Creative Commons - “To Use Or Not To Use, That Is The Question”
- Methods and Practices 1: Recording Agreements for Today’s Industry - “Time To Put Your Clothes On, Emperor”
- Methods and Practices 2: Music Promotion, Distribution and Sales - "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag (Full Of Online Services)"
- Darko Velichkovski - Music Industry