Understand how to communicate complex information to lay audiences and develop your professional communication skills.
Understand how to communicate complex information to lay audiences
In a time when experts are all too often ignored or misunderstood, communicating complex information accurately to inexperienced audiences is a prized skill. This course will help your develop this skill. You will learn specific strategies to get your ideas across in a more impactful way; discovering how to organise your messages, techniques for explaining abstract ideas, and how to use and create visuals to enhance understanding.
What topics will you cover?
- Three different explanation models: quasi-scientific, transformation and elucidating
- Barriers to effective explanations including myths
- The importance of audience analysis in effectively communicating complex ideas
- Using analogies to explain abstract ideas.
- Effective organization in oral presentations
- Creating organisational structures.
- Producing charts which enhance audience understanding.
- What will you achieve?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Use different methods to overcome the barriers that most audiences face when learning complex information
- Apply practices for organizing and explaining ideas orally
- Design presentation slides for improved audience understanding
- Communicate complex ideas or material to various audiences.
What will you achieve?
- Learners are able to present complex ideas to non-expert audiences.
- Learners apply practices for organizing and explaining ideas orally.
- Learners design presentation slides fro improved audience understanding.
- Learners investigate different methods to overcome the barriers that most audiences face when learning complex information.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who has to explain new ideas to lay publics where there are vast differences between the speaker and their audience in their command of the content. It will be of particular use to teachers, scientists, communication experts, financial experts and medical experts.
Melanie Morgan is an associate professor of communication at Purdue. She teaches classes in science communication and quantitative research methods and is the author of Effective Presentations.
Purdue University is a world-renowned, public research university that advances discoveries in science, technology, engineering and math.
FutureLearn est une plate-forme d'apprentissage proposant des formations en ligne ouvertes à tous (MOOC)
Fondée en Décembre 2012, la société est entièrement détenue par l'Open University à Milton Keynes, en Angleterre.
Elle est la 1ère plateforme offrant des MOOC au Royaume-Uni, avec à son actif plus d'une cinquantaine d'universités partenaires provenant du Royaume Uni mais aussi du reste du monde.
FutureLearn se différencie également par des partenariats avec des entités non-universitaires comme le British Museum, le British Council, la British Library et la national Film and Television School.