Sobre o conteúdo
This course will focus on the theory, design and operation of commercial nuclear power reactors. The course will also touch on contemporary issues regarding nuclear power generation including: the nuclear fuel cycle, the economics of nuclear power, and nuclear non-proliferation.
Programa de estudos
The course will begin with a grand tour of the commercial nuclear fuel cycle and power reactors so the student will have some perspective before delving into the theory that is important to understanding the unique aspects of nuclear energy. The course then will return to the fundamentals of basic nuclear physics, reactor physics, energy removal and power conversion to prepare students for in-depth looks at the theory and function of commercial nuclear power reactors.
This course is intended for students who have had little to no academic instruction in nuclear engineering. Some of my incentives to teach this class are (1) to stimulate interest and excitement about nuclear science and technology, and (2) to create a more informed citizenry on the subject of nuclear energy utilization in the future.
- Introduction – A Grand Tour of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Atomic and Nuclear Physics – The Einstein Connection
- Nuclear Reactions and Radiation – The Life and Trials of Neutrons and the Things They Create
- Radiation and Radiation Protection – Radiation and Realism
- Fission Reactor Basics – Links in the Chain Reaction
- Overview of Power Reactors and Nuclear Systems – Over 440 in the World and Growing
- Nuclear Safety –Should I be frightened?
- Radiation and Radioisotopes in the World Today
- Larry Foulke - Director of Outreach, Nuclear Engineering Program
Criador do conteúdo
A Coursera é uma empresa digital que oferece um curso on-line massivo e aberto, fundado pelos professores de computação Andrew Ng e Daphne Koller Stanford University, localizado em Mountain View, Califórnia.
O Coursera trabalha com as melhores universidades e organizações para disponibilizar alguns dos seus cursos on-line e oferece cursos em várias disciplinas, incluindo: física, engenharia, humanidades, medicina, biologia, ciências sociais, matemática, negócios, ciência da computação, marketing digital, ciência de dados. e outros assuntos.Cours