Les infos clés
What is risk? Why does it matter, to us and to the financial markets? What are the principles that drive the management of risk? Can we ensure that these principles are implemented wisely?
This free online course will look at risk management in its broadest terms, giving you the opportunity to evaluate the crucial role played by risk in the global economy, both in terms of its opportunities and its potential dangers.
The course offers a broad overview of risk, and will be of interest to those looking to better understand financial instruments and their impact on the global economy.
This is a general level course, however some knowledge of economics or finance may be useful.
With experts from the Centre for Financial and Management Studies at SOAS University of London, you’ll look at practical examples of financial investments, to examine:
- the main functions of finance and of risk management
- the main forms of financial investment, such as stocks and bonds, derivatives, futures and options, hedging and speculation strategies
- how firms hedge risk by using financial derivatives
- how risk management is applied in the financial and in the non-financial sector.
By the end of the four-week course, you’ll be able to:
- understand financial markets and the principles of risk management
- understand the main types of risk and evaluate the methods and tools used by firms to manage risks
- examine ideas and methods used in the analysis of portfolios of financial securities, including stocks and bonds
- explain the use of financial derivatives for hedging (reducing risk) and speculation (increasing risk) in financial markets
- evaluate the application of risk methods and risk management tools in the global economy
I am a Professor of Economics in the School of Finance and Management at SOAS, University of London. My main research interests are in financial economics, macroeconomics and applied econometrics.
FutureLearn est une plate-forme d'apprentissage proposant des formations en ligne ouvertes à tous (MOOC)
Fondée en Décembre 2012, la société est entièrement détenue par l'Open University à Milton Keynes, en Angleterre.
Elle est la 1ère plateforme offrant des MOOC au Royaume-Uni, avec à son actif plus d'une cinquantaine d'universités partenaires provenant du Royaume Uni mais aussi du reste du monde.
FutureLearn se différencie également par des partenariats avec des entités non-universitaires comme le British Museum, le British Council, la British Library et la national Film and Television School.