About the content
The future of work is unpredictable, and navigating this disruption effectively matters to everyone in every industry, inlcuding employees, entrepreneurs, and managers.
This course will show you how to take your experiences, extract what you've learnt from them and present them in a way that clearly communicates your potential and enables you to apply them in different contexts - such as being employed within organisations or running your own business.
A degree is necessary to secure a graduate role, but to be effective in any context we can do much more.
You'll hear from:
- Employers discussing what they value when hiring new employees.
- Entrepreneurs who discuss the attributes that enhance their entrepreneurial pathways.
- Current students who have maximised their university experience.
- Graduates who have transitioned successfully into the workplace or their own business.
- Experts sharing their perspectives on employability.
On completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Prepare for the future of work and rapidly changing circumstances.
- Recognise the scope of career pathways and the value of working in a diversity of contexts.
- Identify opportunities for employability development throughout your career.
- Relate your employability to a range of work contexts, including entrepreneurial endeavours.
- Apply self-reflective methods to identify development from experience.
- Effectively articulate your unique qualities and capabilities.
- Apply techniques to communicate your potential in a range of situations.
- Understand how to conduct yourself appropriately in a professional environment.
- Recognise your employabilty as a holisitc process that enables you to contribute through work.
Dr Andrea Reid
Global Education Manager
World Travel Protection
Senior Manager Learning Partnerships Employability
The University of Queensland
Dr Eleanor Browne
Associate Lecturer in Enterprise and Innovation Education
The University of Queensland
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings. UQ is one of only three Australian members of the global Universitas 21 and a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities. UQ is recognised for its world standard specialised research and teaching excellence; having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other in the country.
Founded in 1909 UQ is Queensland's oldest university and has produced more than 250,000 graduates. UQ has a diverse community of over 51,000 students including 13,300 international students from 141 nations. It has one of Australia's largest PhD enrolments, with more than 14,700 postgraduate students. UQ employs 6,700 staff spanning six faculties and eight research institutes.
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.