About the content
Learn how to (re)position your organization, orchestrate strategic alliances and assess strategic options from an ethical perspective. This advanced strategic management course helps you translate strategic insights into smart strategic decisions on positioning, partnering and being socially responsible:
Positioning the Firm
- How can strategy portfolios guide corporate strategy and help decision-makers scope the activities of their organization?
- How can general strategies help organizations gain competitive advantages in their industries?
- How can organizations create uncontested market space?
- What is the case for cooperative strategy? When should we move from a competitive to a cooperative mindset?
- What are strategic alliances and what is their payoff?
- How can firms build and orchestrate collaborative ecosystems to enhance their (innovative) performance?
- What is the role of business in society?
- To whom are organizations responsible and for what?
- How to encourage ethical behavior and reconcile responsibility and profitability?
After completing this course you will improve your career qualifications as Business Development Manager, Sales Manager or Consultant. Professionals from the industries of Automotive, IT, Finance, Health Care, Telecommunication and the Energy sector have already completed the course.
This course is part of the "Managing Technology & Innovation: How to deal with disruptive change" MicroMasters program designed to teach the critical skills needed to be successful in this exciting field. In order to qualify for the MicroMasters Credential, you will need to earn a Verified Certificate in each of the six courses of the RWTHx MicroMasters program.
- Position your organization in times of transition
- Orchestrate strategic alliances and broader innovation networks
- Assess strategic options not just from an economic, but also from an ethical perspective
THEME 1: POSITIONING THE FIRM
Week 1: Red Ocean Strategy
- Corporate Strategy: Explore the tools that help to decide on the scope of the business.
- Generic Strategy I: Become familiar with cost leadership strategies.
- Generic Strategy II: Become familiar with differentiation strategies.
Week 2: Blue Ocean Strategy
- Blue Ocean Strategy: Understand how to create uncontested market space and make competition irrelevant.
THEME 2: ORCHESTRATING STRATEGIC ALLIANCES
Week 3: Strategic Alliances
- Alliance Purpose: Explore the concept and different types of strategic alliances.
- Alliance Pay-Off: Reflect upon the opportunities and risks of strategic alliances.
Week 4: Collaborative Networks
- Ecosystems: Uncover the key elements of effective ecosystem orchestration.
- Open Innovation: Learn about open innovation as a collaborative approach to new product development.
THEME 3: EMBRACING SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Week 5: Social Responsibility
- Business and Society: Reflect upon the role of business in society and identify its contributions to the public good.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Unpack organizations’ broader social responsibilities
Week 6: Business Ethics
- Ethics Foundations: Review philosophical approaches that help inform ethical decision making.
- Ethics Applications: Discuss ethical decision making in the context of business practice.
Co-Director of Institute for Technology and Innovation Management (TIM) and Co-Director of the TIME Research Area
RWTH Aachen University
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.