About the content
Project teams usually spend a large portion of their time solving problems instead of preventing them. Project risk management seeks to preemptively manage positive and negative events that may affect a project so as to improve its chance of success.
What will you be able to do by the end of the course?
- Identify risks in scenarios of uncertainty
- Determine who can help you
- Understand how to manage risks in settings with limited resources
- Develop risk response strategies
- Monitor and update risks throughout the life of the project
- Project managers or supervisors
- Project team members
- Funders and financiers
- Public officials from national, subnational, and municipal entities
- Professionals from different fields who help develop and execute projects
- Professionals Interested in risk management in development projects
Course content is based on the Inter-American Development Bank’s risk management methodology, which is aligned with A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, Sixth Edition, 2017, of the Project Management Institute (PMI)®.
The Project Management Institute (PMI®) has authorized the INDES, a Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.), to grant 30 professional development units (PDUs) if you receive the certificate for this course.
We recommend that participants be PMPs or CAPMs, or have prior project management training.
- Identify the main stages involved in preparing a risk management plan for development projects following the IDB’s methodology, which is based on PMI’s international standards, to successfully achieve expected results and impacts.
- Recognize the process of identifying risks that may affect the project and documenting their characteristics to facilitate risk analysis and subsequent management.
- Recognize the main elements of the risk analysis process and evaluating and combining risks’ probability of occurrence and impact to prioritize them.
- Recognize risk management strategies that allow for managing opportunities and threats that could impact the project’s objectives.
- Recognize the main elements of the risk monitoring process and continuously optimizing responses to improve efficiency when managing the project life cycle.
Vanessa Sayos del Castillo
Especialista internacional em gestão de projetos, consultora do Banco Interamericano de Desenvolvimento e PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP)®
Banco Interamericano de Desenvolvimento
Senior Operations Associate at the Country Department Southern Cone
Inter-American Development Bank
Inter-American Development Bank
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.