About the content
Tax revenues are likely to be the core benefit of mineral extraction for host States. To promote mining for development, States must design mineral fiscal regimes that consider the interests of a wide range of stakeholders. Their choices have major implications for public finance, development and sustainability.
This course will help policy makers, managers in private sector companies, and activists understand these choices and their implications.
What you will learn:
- To identify stakeholders and their interests in mining, development and sustainability
- The costs and benefits associated with the mineral development cycle
- The two key models of extractive development (private-led and neo-extractivism) and their implications for taxing mining
- The concept of mineral resource rents, and the arguments for and against different types of mineral royalty
- Perspectives that are not usually foregrounded in tax debates, such as gender disparities, green fiscal regimes, and transparency initiatives
Professor of Law at the School of Law, University of the Witwatersrand
The University of the Witwatersrand is a South African academic institution located in Johannesburg, Gauteng Province, in the historic Witwatersrand region. The university is nicknamed "Wits". It is the largest and most prestigious university in South Africa.
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.