About the content
Learn how successful organisations like IBM manage innovation to disrupt markets and achieve business advantage. This course from the Leeds University Business School will show you how to manage innovation through real-life examples from IBM. You’ll identify challenges to innovation management and develop an innovation strategy. You’ll see how the world’s most successful businesses use systematic processes to manage disruptive innovation. Through practical insights you’ll learn how to continuously innovate in your core business. Exploring the latest design thinking and open innovation frameworks will help you drive innovation effectively within an established organisation or growing venture.
- Identify obstacles, sources and pitfalls that affect successful management of innovation.
- Differentiate between innovation in core business and transformative business opportunities.
- Discuss why management of innovation is important.
- Identify key enablers for managing innovation in core business.
- Evaluate actions required in own organisation(s) for improving management of innovation in core business.
- Describe the disruptive nature of innovation.
- Identify managerial approaches to respond to disruptive change.
- Define the concept of open innovation and the openness continuum.
- Identify the different approaches through which open and collaborative innovation occurs.
- Evaluate actions required in own organisation(s) for gaining value from open and collaborative innovation.
- Reflect on the core elements of design thinking (DT).
- Explore how design thinking can be used to foster innovation, with exposure to some tools and methods of design thinking.
- Explain sources of corporate knowledge and protectable intellectual property rights.
- Identify risks associated with knowledge leakage and IP infringement.
- Explore proactive and reactive strategies for the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
- Analyse innovation capabilities at own organisation.
Assistant Professor of Strategy and Innovation
Matt is an expert in the area of open innovation and open strategy
Professor of Strategy and Innovation at the Leeds University Business School.
Executive Architect and Industry Technical Leader at IBM and RAEng Visiting Professor in Innovation at the University of Leeds. https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/staff/885/Tony_Morgan
Professor of Strategy, University of Leeds, UK. Expert in strategy in collaborative projects and design thinking.
Senior Teaching Fellow in International Business
Liz is an expert in the area of Intellectual Property Rights
L'université de Leeds est un établissement d'enseignement supérieur britannique située dans la ville de Leeds, dans la région anglaise de Yorkshire-et-Humber.
FutureLearn is a massive open online course (MOOC) learning platform founded in December 2012.
It is a company launched and wholly owned by The Open University in Milton Keynes, England. It is the first UK-led massive open online course learning platform, and as of March 2015 included 54 UK and international University partners and unlike similar platforms includes four non-university partners: the British Museum, the British Council, the British Library and the National Film and Television School.