About the content
This course is an introduction to understanding retail business. In this course, we will try to unravel the business model of a retail business – essentially the brick and mortar segment.
We will define and discuss retail formats and deliberate the evolution of retail formats. We will use various theories and illustrations that explain the retail business as it is today.An introduction to the retail business model for brick and mortar formats
Define the various constituents of retail strategy
How to develop and sustain a competitive advantage in retail sector
Define the practical tools and techniques of retail strategy
No previous experience required. However participants will benefit more if they have a willingness to know the basics of retail management.
- What is Retailing?
- How does Retail business work?
- Retail verticals; Roles and responsibility, Organizational structure
- What is organized Retail?
- Why retail business is significant today?
- Retail classification system and retail formats
- Traditional retail formats, mom and pop stores
- What is ideal for India? Consequences
- Retail strategy mix
- Merchandising basics.
- What is merchandising? implications
- Pricing basics, methods
- Retail pricing, consequences
- Retail distribution network
- Supply chain basics
- Warehousing, physical distribution, logistics, examples
- Basics of Retail Promotion.
- What is emerging market? Why it is significant today? What is the retail scenario in emerging markets?
- Indian retail sector evolution in different sectors.
- Characteristics of Indian consumers
- Expert opinion on Indian retail sector – research reports analysis
- Basics of E-tailing basics
- Various E-tailing business models
- What is the future in E-tailing? Consequences?
Assistant Professor, Marketing
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.