About the content
This course is part of the Healthcare Administration MicroMasters program which consists of 7 courses and a capstone exam. After completing the program, you can also apply to Doane University to complete your MBA online for approximately $10,500 (learn more about the program here).
To be an effective agent of change, a healthcare administrator must have a foundational understanding of healthcare advocacy, law, and regulatory issues, as well as compliance. This course will focus on a wide range of important issues in health law, health policy and the factors at play when developing a strategic advocacy platform such as bioethics and informed consent. At the conclusion of this course, learners will be able to identify health policies that promote quality, advocacy and system change within a healthcare organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or
- Minimum 5 years work experience in a healthcare related field
- Basic understanding of economics and finance
- Discuss health law
- Explain physician-patient relations within a legal context
- Interpret laws that shape access to health care
- Explore informed consent for medical treatment
- Evaluate medical malpractice suits within healthcare systems
- Inspect the utilization of bioethics in healthcare
- Describe methods for advocating in healthcare systems.
- Identify culturally competent advocacy strategies
- Assess a health policy change that promotes quality, advocacy and system change.
DNP, APRN-CNS, CNE
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.