About the content
Navigating through the complexities of Gender & Sexuality is a necessity in our world, now more than ever. Engage with globally renowned scholars from top Canadian universities to learn concepts and practices that advance respect and human rights. This course will teach you to better understand and apply knowledge about gender and sexuality -- a critical first step in addressing social, economic and cultural inequalities.
This intersectional approach to Gender & Sexuality Studies will cover key topics in the fields of literature, language, geography, history, political science, sociology, anthropology, cinema and media studies, law and medicine. Some questions we will address include:
- What is gender and sexuality?
- What does this mean in different contexts?
- How do we think critically and creatively about identity, communication, and community?
- How are gender and sexuality organized in media and popular culture?
- How do people, young and old, negotiate knowledge about gender and sexuality?
- Deepen understanding and knowledge about gender and sexuality.
- Explore personal and academic histories and narratives in Gender & Sexuality Studies.
- Participate in current conversations on a wide-ranging local and national scale.
- Acquire knowledge about classical and contemporary theories in Gender & Sexuality Studies.
- Explore the possibilities for intersectionality to highlight social justice issues.
- Gain an appreciation for a diverse range of individuals, communities, and viewpoints.
Dr. Janice Stewart
Senior Instructor, Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice
University of British Columbia
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.