About the content
If you want to know more about deafness in low and middle income countries this MOOC is for you. It is primarily aimed at those working as health or education professionals, government officials, support workers, NGOs and anyone with a family or personal interest in deafness. It aims to improve knowledge and understanding of this topic.
- The global inequalities and implications for deaf children, young people
- An introduction to the hearing system and basic physiology.
- Understanding the auditory system.
2. Preventable cause of deafness
- Epidemiology of hearing loss in low and middle income countries.
- Prevention of hearing impairment and disability, including noise damage,
ototoxicity, age related hearing loss, middle ear disease and measles, mumps,
rubella and malaria as causes of deafness.
3. Identification and assessment of deafness and amplification
- Screening, diagnostic assessment, the potential and challenge of
- The role of NGOs and manufacturing companies in provision of
- Examples of practice.
4. Family Centred Early Intervention
- Consideration of the international consensus statement on family centred
- Examples of how this can apply in a low income countries.
- Developing early communication and literacy skills, empowering parents and working with the Deaf community.
5. Fostering interpersonal communication across language modalities
- Use of signed languages
- Spoken language
- Facilitating communication
6. Possible futures: given support, what can deaf children and adults achieve?
- Case studies of possible futures
- Focus on international projects
- Helen Chilton - School of Psychological Science
- Wendy Mccracken - School of Psychological Science
Coursera is a digital company offering massive open online course founded by computer teachers Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller Stanford University, located in Mountain View, California.
Coursera works with top universities and organizations to make some of their courses available online, and offers courses in many subjects, including: physics, engineering, humanities, medicine, biology, social sciences, mathematics, business, computer science, digital marketing, data science, and other subjects.