About the content
Join the data revolution. Companies are searching for data scientists. This specialized field demands multiple skills not easy to obtain through conventional curricula. Introduce yourself to the basics of data science and leave armed with practical experience extracting value from big data. #uwdatasci
- Examples, data science articulated, history and context, technology landscape
- Databases and the relational algebra
- Parallel databases, parallel query processing, in-database analytics
- MapReduce, Hadoop, relationship to databases, algorithms, extensions, languages
- Key-value stores and NoSQL; tradeoffs of SQL and NoSQL
- Topics in statistical modeling: basic concepts, experiment design, pitfalls
- Topics in machine learning: supervised learning (rules, trees, forests, nearest neighbor, regression), optimization (gradient descent and variants), unsupervised learning
- Visualization, data products, visual data analytics
- Provenance, privacy, ethics, governance
- Graph Analytics: structure, traversals, analytics, PageRank, community detection, recursive queries, semantic web
- Guest Lectures
- Bill Howe - Scalable Data Analytics
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest state-supported institutions of higher education on the West Coast and is one of the preeminent research universities in the world.
Coursera is a digital company offering massive open online course founded by computer teachers Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller Stanford University, located in Mountain View, California.
Coursera works with top universities and organizations to make some of their courses available online, and offers courses in many subjects, including: physics, engineering, humanities, medicine, biology, social sciences, mathematics, business, computer science, digital marketing, data science, and other subjects.