About the content
Join the data revolution. Companies are searching for data scientists. This specialized field demands multiple skills not easy to obtain through conventional curricula. Introduce yourself to the basics of data science and leave armed with practical experience extracting value from big data. #uwdatasci
- Examples, data science articulated, history and context, technology landscape
- Databases and the relational algebra
- Parallel databases, parallel query processing, in-database analytics
- MapReduce, Hadoop, relationship to databases, algorithms, extensions, languages
- Key-value stores and NoSQL; tradeoffs of SQL and NoSQL
- Topics in statistical modeling: basic concepts, experiment design, pitfalls
- Topics in machine learning: supervised learning (rules, trees, forests, nearest neighbor, regression), optimization (gradient descent and variants), unsupervised learning
- Visualization, data products, visual data analytics
- Provenance, privacy, ethics, governance
- Graph Analytics: structure, traversals, analytics, PageRank, community detection, recursive queries, semantic web
- Guest Lectures
- Bill Howe - Scalable Data Analytics
The University of Washington is a public research university in Seattle, Washington. Founded on November 4, 1861 as Territorial University, Washington is one of the oldest universities on the West Coast and was established in Seattle about a decade after the city's founding.
The university has a 703-acre main campus located in the city's University District, as well as campuses in Tacoma and Bothell. Overall, UW comprises more than 500 buildings and more than 20 million gross square feet of space, including one of the world's largest library systems with more than 26 academic libraries, art centres, museums, laboratories, lecture halls and stadiums.
Washington is the flagship institution of Washington State's six public universities. It is renowned for its medical, technical and scientific research.
Coursera is a digital company offering massive open online course founded by computer teachers Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller Stanford University, located in Mountain View, California.
Coursera works with top universities and organizations to make some of their courses available online, and offers courses in many subjects, including: physics, engineering, humanities, medicine, biology, social sciences, mathematics, business, computer science, digital marketing, data science, and other subjects.