About the content
The main aim of this course is to give an overview of how contemporary Japanese society has been stratified, from the perspective of changing demographic, familial, and socio-economic structure. Basic statistics will be presented to provide a concrete idea of the changes that have taken place in Japan. By the end of the course, students should have an awareness of similarities and differences across nations regarding social issues including aging population, gender gaps in work and family, and socio-economic inequalities.
- Interest in Japan and East Asia
- This is course is particularly for first- and second-year college students.
- Obtain basic knowledge of how various structural aspects of Japanese society have changed or remained unchanged.
- Understand the basic mechanism of social stratification in Japanese society.
- Develop awareness of similarities and differences between the social problems affecting many advanced capitalist societies.
- Think actively about how these social problems can be alleviated.
Professor of Sociology
The University of Tokyo
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.