About the content
In a biorefinery a complex biobased feedstock is separated and processed in such a way that sustainability and application opportunities are maximized. In this course we will focus on tools and techniques to efficiently disentangle, separate and convert different biomass based feedstocks into simpler (functional) components.
First we will discuss available techniques and processes for biomass activation/disentanglement and separation.
Next we explore how to design a biorefinery taking into account feedstock and sustainable energy use. Therefore we will dive into:
- mass and energy balances;
- design of biorefinery process units to obtain multiple products from one type of biomass;
- how to recover energy and resources in the biorefinery system;
- evaluation of the designed system with respect to sustainability and economic criteria;
- evaluation of criteria for successful implementation (operational and investment costs).
Students will be able to:
- To choose proper (chemical) pretreatment and conversions to arrive at the required products.
- Conceptually design a biorefinery process.
- Critically evaluate a process design with respect to energy and feedstock efficiency.
- Compare that design with fossil based processes.
- Know how to activate/disentangle and separate biobased feedstocks.
- Ton van Boxtel
- Corjan van den Berg
- Costas Nikiforidis
Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of California, Berkeley, are just some of the schools that you have at your fingertips with EdX. Through massive open online courses (MOOCs) from the world's best universities, you can develop your knowledge in literature, math, history, food and nutrition, and more. These online classes are taught by highly-regarded experts in the field. If you take a class on computer science through Harvard, you may be taught by David J. Malan, a senior lecturer on computer science at Harvard University for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. But there's not just one professor - you have access to the entire teaching staff, allowing you to receive feedback on assignments straight from the experts. Pursue a Verified Certificate to document your achievements and use your coursework for job and school applications, promotions, and more. EdX also works with top universities to conduct research, allowing them to learn more about learning. Using their findings, edX is able to provide students with the best and most effective courses, constantly enhancing the student experience.