About the content
Learn about acoustics and sound fields by using the concept of impedance. We will start with the fundamental concept of one-dimensional cases, understand the essentials, and also cover extended topics.
Week 1: Vibration & Waves
- How are time and space related? What about the relation between frequency and wavelength?
- Does the characteristic impedance of medium determine reflection and transmission?
- Do we well see the waves of a string in terms of driving point impedance?
Week 2: Acoustics Wave Equation and Its Basic Physical Measures
(1D acoustic wave equation, Acoustic Intensity and Energy, Units of Sound)
- What are the relations of acoustic pressure, density, and particle velocity?
- How do they make acoustic wave equation?
- Is acoustic wave well analogous with one dimension string wave?
Week 3: Acoustics Wave Equation and Its Basic Physical Measures
(Acoustic Intensity and Energy, Solutions of the Wave equation, Demonstration: hearing system)
- What about the relation between acoustic intensity and energy?
- How does human hearing system measure sound and its characteristics?
- Let us experience the change of sound in level and frequency!
Week 4: Waves on a Flat Surface of Discontinuity
(Normal incidence on a Flat Surface, The Mass Law)
- How mathematically express the boundary conditions at discontinuity?
- How does impedance at discontinuity determine reflection and transmission?
- When can we use mass law?
Week 5: Waves on a Flat Surface of Discontinuity
(Transmission Loss, Snell’s Law, Transmission and Reflection of an Infinite Plate/Finite Structure)
- How different is the transmission loss of a flexible partition compared to the mass law?
- Does the obliqueness of wave play a critical role to determine transmitted and reflected wave?
- What are the roles of partition and fluid loading impedance to transmission loss?
- Yang-Hann Kim - Mechanical Engineering
Coursera is a digital company offering massive open online course founded by computer teachers Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller Stanford University, located in Mountain View, California.
Coursera works with top universities and organizations to make some of their courses available online, and offers courses in many subjects, including: physics, engineering, humanities, medicine, biology, social sciences, mathematics, business, computer science, digital marketing, data science, and other subjects.